Something about beautiful bouquets and eating delicious desserts make Valentine's Day spectacular! I used to be one of those girls that hated this holiday but now I am all about the love (hello I'm a wedding photographer!!) Telling someone special to you just how much they mean to them is an everyday thing year 'round don't get me wrong but Saint Valentine was real! There are actually many Saints named Valentine but common legend states that St. Valentine defied the emperor’s orders and secretly married couples to spare the husbands from war. It is for this reason that his feast day is associated with love.
I wanted to share with you all some history and tradition to why flowers and chocolates are attributed with this holiday.
- Chocolate is an aphrodisiac so essentially this is why it is given. It just gets you in the mood for love.
- Spanish explorers brought chocolate back to the Old World from the New World in the 17th Century.
- Roses were Venus’ favorite flower, the Goddess of Love, as she believed that they stood for strong feelings.
There are other flowers you could give and the meanings of each:
- Red Roses – Love and romance. Scottish poet Robert Burns didn’t compare his love to a red, red rose for nothing. They have been associated for ages with beauty and perfection; red roses are a timeless way to say “I love you.” So if you receive red roses, you know you are truly loved.
- Pink Roses – Love, gratitude and appreciation.Pink roses are not only stunning, but can be used to communicate many messages when you’ve got something important to say to your loved one including love, gratitude and appreciation. They are also an extremely elegant flower. Pink roses will make you feel loved and appreciated, which is a great gift for Valentine’s Day.
- White Roses – Marriage, spirituality, new starts. White roses are traditionally linked with marriage and new beginnings. If you’re hoping for that special proposal, then maybe white roses will say it all.
- Lilies – Promise, passion, life and fidelity. What they mean says it all, so you can certainly put a smile on your face for a bouquet of lilies.
- Carnations – Love, fascination and undying love. Carnations mean you are certainly loved, a lot and good things are sure to come your way.
- Chrysanthemum – Optimism and joy. There is lots of hope for your relationship, and it’s sure to be a happy union.
Hope you learned something new and enjoy this sweet holiday!!